
I have thought of lots of things I could post here, what our weekend was like, funny little things that've happened here and there, details about my physical condition, a few good recipes, the weather, and on and on. But the truth is I have a one track mind right now and as I try and type out thoughts and synopses of days past, I keep coming back to the one thing. In spite of that, here goes: I'm very grateful today for two particular things - a new air conditioning unit in our family room and both my children napping peacefully this afternoon(that hasn't happened in two days).
We'd been wanting to install this p-tap unit in our family room for a few years now and it's finally in, and the part I'm grateful about is that I wasn't trying to corrale two toddlers and nurse a newborn while it was being installed. We moved into this house when V was 4 weeks old to the day and there were several loose ends to tie up with electricians, security system people, etc. I'll never forget the stress of trying to learn to breastfeed amidst the doorbell ringing 4 times a day and the phone 25 times a day and drills going here and there and hammering and testing alarms sounds, repair men in and out......it was not something I'd ever recommend to a new mother. So, I put out a bulletin in this household that the a/c unit had to be installed before the baby came or at least before I came home from the hospital. (it was really wishful thinking since none of it was up to me) And the Lord has been so merciful that it all worked out perfectly!
In addition to this, I've been really concerned (instead of worried I get concerned...) about how life will be with two toddlers sharing a room, naptime, bedtime, etc. This concern has been elevated to alert level orange in the last few days as my due date approaches and as the two children continue to adjust. It's been going well, but not as nicely and neatly as I'd like; it takes a lot of effort to get them settled and even then, it doesn't always work. I'm very grateful for the little mercies God gives in each day, and hoping I can hold on to the mentality of gratefulness as a new phase of life begins.
So now I'll tell on myself: Last week I had a few days in which everything I touched turned to mud. Several failed attempts in the kitchen, lots of spills, breaks, slips and falls, etc. One of the problems with a touch-screen oven is that if your stomach hangs over too far, it can easily turn the oven off without you realizing it. This very thing happened to me last week while baking muffins. I completely botched the first batch, misreading the recipe and overfilling the muffin cups. The second batch was to be my consolation prize; however, my 9 month pregnant belly turned the oven off and they didn't bake right. This was the last attempt I made at baking or cooking anything the rest of the week. Earlier in the week I'd dumped a container of leftover spaghetti sauce on the floor, pulled the highchair tray too hard and dumped B's meal everywhere, chipped a gigantic piece out of the microwave tray, and fallen out the back door, down the stairs and splat onto the garage floor while taking some towels out to the laundry room. Mud, that was my week. Thankfully, this week has started off better.
I'm handing the reins of the blog over to Jeff from here on out....not only do I still have a lot to do, but also, the one track mind thing has just taken over. All I can think about is giving birth. Labor pains, breathing techniques, the "ring of fire"......that sort of stuff.
0 comments:
Post a Comment