(Again.........I'm having picture difficulties, so please bear with me......I'm trying!!)
We've had some really sweet moments at our house lately, as well as some major mishaps. I sometimes wonder if Jeff thinks I'm an absentee Mom, but honestly the worst injuries occur right before our very eyes most of the time. Most are are result of clumsy, energetic toddlers, but sometimes the trouble finds them!
Last week, as V wrote with chalk on the driveway, she was stung on the cheek by a red wasp. I was just pulling up the drive from a doctor's appointment and the chaos was settling down. She began to cry in earnest again however, once she saw me. I know it hurt. I HATE being stung by anything but especially wasps! Immediately after that, as I was comforting her, B slipped in a puddle in the carport and landed SPLAT! right in the middle of it. So I had a swollen face and a crying boy in wet clothes. I paid the babysitter and set to work doctoring boo-boos.

A few days later, as we played out in the backyard, B was stung in the bottom lip by a honeybee. I guess the children are low enough to the ground that they pose a threat to flying insects. Who knows? It is very difficult to treat a bee sting on the bottom lip of an 18 month old, it swelled up something awful, as they say, and once again, we talked about why there are bugs that sting and how MOST bugs don't sting. (although I don't know this is exactly true) Since then, both V and B have had an oversensitive fear of any bug at all. Now B can say "
Buuug,
Buuug!" with a terrified look on his face. I don't know that he's really afraid, we suspect he's merely mimicking V's genuine fear. She's always hated bugs. Last night at the supper table, there was a fly buzzing about and V wouldn't eat one bite. She hunkered down as low as we'd allow and every now and then would let out a little whimper as she thought the fly was near. It was funny but frustrating as well. We try hard not to let them see us laugh when they are doing something we'd rather not reinforce, but at times, it's impossible!

On another note,
bath time has become a favorite pastime for them. It's always been fun, but now, no matter what's going on, the word "bath" can send both of them running, squealing with delight, straight to the bathroom. B begins pulling his clothes off, V helps, and they are both climbing into the tub in a matter of seconds.



Brushing teeth is another favorite bedtime ritual. Jeff and I sing the Captain Kangaroo song.
"Brush your teeth. Round and round. Circle small, gums and all.....a small soft toothbrush the round and round way, will keep your gums healthy and stop tooth decay, so brush very carefully three times a day.....go round and round.....round and round."
They brush while we sing, then we help brush, then they have a drink of water and we all say "all done!" Next is pajamas, a story, prayers, kisses, and goodnight!! (I still have to rock B a little before he's laid down, and then V has to have "Jesus Loves Me" and sometimes "Mockingbird.") The lights go out and Jeff and I collapse on the couch! It always goes this smoothly!...........mostly never!
Side note: The bath picture of me holding B is OLD.....as you can see I have a flat tummy! Only a few weeks left!
0 comments:
Post a Comment