Sunday, November 8, 2009

Tasty Fall Fare

First, start with a fun fall centerpiece like this:






We interrupt this broadcast to bring you an important bulletin:
I'm desperately trying to convince my dear husband that I NEED (wink) a new fancy-nancy camera.....I've tried experiementing on mine but somehow most of my pictures have ended up looking like they were taken in 1976, i.e. the one above, what is the deal???? sooooo anyway, please try to imagine what above picture would look like if taken w/ a really cool awesome DSLR-QXIV camera.....and wish with me that maybe Santa will bring something special this year! I AM TURNING 30 AFTER ALL......wink again, ahem)



Ok, back to our regular programming:


Don't you agree, everything seems to taste better when you have a centerpiece on the table?



There's a specialness about the fall season inspires a nostalgia and generally warm snuggly feeling. I love going outside and taking a deep breath of fall air. In the next few days, I'm going to showcase a few of my favorite recipes to help you nurture that warm snuggly nostalgic feeling the whole day long!



Let's start with breakfast: Maple and cinnamon oatmeal with toasted walnuts and dried berries.

First, toast the walnuts, on LOW, and take them out of the toaster so they can cool. You musn't burn them. The smell of burned nuts will ruin your warm snuggly feeling. So, lightly toast and cool. This is essential to get the delicious depth of flavor.

On a side note, do you know how healthy walnuts are? The genius of our Creator is evidenced in all creation, but I especially love the provision he gave us in natural foods! Walnuts, healthy and delicious, give them a try.

Okay, so lightly toast them and let them cool while you cook the oatmeal.

Zen, cook the oatmeal (real oats only, not quick cook- too mushy, you want TEXTURE!). One key to good oatmeal is salt. Just a tidge. Dash. Pinch. Smudge, whichever, but you must not leave out the salt. Add it to the water before cooking.

Add oats, boil and turn down to LOW. Here is where you can add a little half n half if you'd like. If you're trying to fit into those new skinny jeans, then leave that step out. This seems a little over-explanitory for oatmeal, but I will press on.

Here's the fun part, pour into bowls, sprinkle with cinnamon, drizzle with maple syrup, top with toasted walnuts and dried berries.......and if you're living on the edge like me, drizzle with a little more maple syrup. Enjoy!

Another delicious variation of this would be to top with fresh sliced bananas in place of the berries. I add mini-chocolate chips to V and B's bowls sometimes. Just a few of course, this is the most important meal of the day!


Here is what this delicious meal might've looked like 33 years ago:



Next time: Harvest red beans and rice, "the jambalaya recipe", and another breakfast favorite, GINGERBREAD waffles (not the boughten mix kind.....these are made from scratch!........a wonderful supper menu for a crisp fall night)

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Oooh, this sounds delightful! Keep the recipes coming, please. I appreciate it! And, my family does as well. I am always looking for something a little more healthy...but, basic. Oatmeal. Very basic!

And, as I know Jeff will read this comment at SOME point - talk to me, and I will help you pick out a camera :-) for your bride!!!

The Jefferys said...

Your blog is so fun to read. It is late at night and I am already craving my irish oatmeal for the morning!!