Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sleeping..........for now


Earlier tonight, Jeff and I put V and B down to bed in the same room. They've napped that way for two days now, the exception being that B was already asleep when we lay him down and V followed after a minute or two. At bedtime however, we've tried putting them to bed awake so that they learn to fall asleep in the same room. Last night I was a weakling and after an hour of trying, gave in. B ended up in his baby bed and V in hers, no change. Tonight however, after another successful nap this afternoon, I was determined to make it work. It took an hour, but they are both asleep. This minor change has seemed to dominate my thoughts and caused more than a few moments of worry about how it would work out.
I've been thinking a lot lately about a statement a friend made to me a few days ago. She was remarking about something in her child's life she'd ordinarily be more particular about but as she put it, "I've let it go, because I have bigger fish to fry." I told JB the other night that I have thought more and more about that idea, as we approach these changes in our household. In so many ways, our life seems very easy. Physically easy. I have access to hot water that pours from the faucet within seconds of turning it on. I have a dish washer that, with a push of a button, does the soaking, scrubbing, disinfecting and drying for me. I have a washing machine that cleans our clothes, wrings them out, and a dryer that dries them wrinkle free (if I remove them promptly enough) In addition to all this, I have access to hundreds of convenience food items that can be defrosted and heated in my microwave....the list goes on. In the event I am bothered by a minor pain such as a headache or body ache or perhaps I just don't feel "right," there are a myriad of medicines available that can gently and safely make this pain more bearable or even relieve it completely. My point in all this is that I've spend the better part of the past two weeks contemplating and discussing things that in previous generations would've been immaterial amidst the toil of daily life. As my great-grandparents scraped out a life, sometimes with great difficulty, either because of physical limitations or economic hardships, I imagine their perspective of "bigger fish" was quite different than mine.
Maybe that's why tonight, I was determined to make this minor change work. I don't want to become accustomed to giving in easily when something presents itself as difficult. The conveniences of my daily life have cushioned me enough in that respect. I'm preparing for more of the nitty-gritty in life.......and yet, hoping it won't be too painful. :)

1 comments:

Amy said...

That big fish is frying up nicely!

Love you and still praying for success tonight and the rest of their little lives!