This is the #2 on my "10 things you don't know about me" list.
When I was a freshman in college, I went to visit a close friend enrolled at Millsaps College in Jackson, MS. That first night, a big group of us went to a local restaurant called Keifer's. It was memorable for numerous reasons, one being the fact that the restaurant is in an older part of Jackson, in an old house with wrap around porches top and bottom. There were these huge heaters hung overhead out on the porches and it made the chilly night air really comfortable. (since then I've seen these lots of places, but growing up in rural Louisiana, the entire experience was completely new)The food was the real stand-out of the evening though. I'd never had a bite of Greek food, never even heard of this strange stuff, "hummus." Well folks, a love affair began that night. Since then I've eaten Greek food all over the world......everywhere except Greece interestingly enough, since I've never been there. After my introduction in Jackson, this local place in my own college town Athenian Delights became a staple. The decor was pitifully tacky.......really bad murals of the Mediterranean painted on the walls and bad music playing in the background, but OH the food! Delicious!
More recently, I was particularly delighted to discover a write-up in Taste of the South magazine about Keifer's in Jackson. Published along with the article was their signature recipe for hummus.
I love making things to eat with obscure ingredients, so when I read "1/4 c. tahini paste", I was hooked. I really wish I'd taken a picture of my creation Friday night because I thought it looked really pretty. I toasted some pita triangles, arranged them artfully on a pretty platter around a bowl of hummus. It was drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with fresh parsley, and garnished with a few Greek olives. BEAUTIFUL! ......But one hiccup....Jeff doesn't care for hummus - how did I not know this?? The children loved it though! (and it's a good thing b/c you can't buy a small container of tahini paste - if anything you'll be making calls for it, PLEASE let me know!) I guess I'll be passing some of the hummus off to you dear friends, because the recipe made a bundle. It was really good! I got the pitas at COSTCO - they are pocket less and very soft and tasty. Sometimes pita bread is dry and bland, but these are some of the best I've had. So, without further adieu, the recipe is posted below:
(Again, I promise to get better about the pictures!)
Keifer's Hummus
2 cans garbanzo beans (chick peas)
2/3 c. hot water
1/4 c. tahini paste
1/4 c. cold water
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. garlic powder (I used fresh minced....sorry I'm a purist)
1 t. salt
Hot pita bread, but into triangles
Garnish: Extra virgin olive oil, chopped fresh parsley, paprika and kalamata olives
Rinse beans and drain well. Grind in a food mill or pulse in a food processor, leaving beans a little coarse. Transfer beans to a large bowl. Add hot tap water and mash and stir beans with a rubber spatula, set aside. In a small bowl, combine tahini paste and cold water. Whisk together with a small wire whisk until creamy and white. Add to beans, folding to combine. Add lemon juice, garlic, and salt to bean mixture, folding to combine. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 6 days before serving. Garnish and serve with warm pita bread.
Enjoy!
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I do love hummus, too, friend! So tasty. And, I STILL have a bottle of tahini - from like 2004. Do you think it's still good? Argh. It was $$ and I only used it once. Boo. Anyway...I love that you are posting recipes!
You can send some hummus our way! We love it and since we've discovered that Sophie will eat guacamole with a spoon, I'm pretty sure that she'll like hummus.
I love Greek food too but I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to eat tzatziki again. I threw it up all night after contracting a stomach bug from Noah. It's more the fresh mint and garlic combination that I have a hard time with now.
Post a Comment