Tuesday, April 28, 2009

3-2-1 years ago



2006: This is me almost 9 months pregnant with Virginia. SOUTHBank gave me a surprise shower and the food was as impressive as all the great gifts I got. I was actually holding Jeff's plate too, as you can see he had the drinks, but that's really inconsequential - they could've both been for me, I definitely remember eating whatever I pleased the entire time I was expecting. Jeff and I both gained weight that year.

He gained 7 lbs., I gained 40.

8.9lbs of mine was a baby though......somehow that is significantly less comforting now than it was at the time.







2007: This is a glorious sight from the late spring of '07. Today, I was able to buy some strawberries from the same farm these were hand picked from. I could barely stand to drive home without giving in to the urge to pull over and devour a few. Fresh picked strawberries have a much richer, sweeter flavor than those found year round in the plastic containers at grocery stores. The berry texture is also much softer and juicier. Now, I do buy the plastic container kind, simply because I enjoy having strawberries year round. But one of the advantages of a local grocery store is that you can find local produce, in season. I get fresh, locally grown apples in the fall, these strawberries in the summer, all types of tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and lots of other goodies........all grown within 20 miles or so of Huntsville. Delicious! The name of my local grocery store? Star SuperMarket in Five Points. I'll put in another plug: they deliver! Yes, you can call in a LONG grocery list filled with specifics and they'll shop, bag, and bring the groceries to your door (for a small fee). I think they have a 10 mile delivery limit.






2008: This actually qualifies for part of the list I started a week or so ago. Something I do on occasion is spot an outfit or clothing item, shoes, whatever, and think "I could see 'so-and-so friend' in that!!" Well, over a year ago, I picked this dress out for my friend Amy. I could see it really looking great on her and decided I'd get it for her birthday. Well, here it is, within days of her birthday and I can't remember where I saw it! I'm sure the store doesn't still have it anyway.........but just so you know friends, I might have a fashion piece picked out especially for you lurking around in my photo files. Call me if you have a special occasion coming up, I'll be your personal shopper! I started doing this for myself, then my sister in law, and eventually this dress for Amy. If I were computer savvy, I could photoshop her head and body under the dress, but that might be a little bit creepy too. Jeff and I also find things online for one another. I know, how sweet.








2009: This is from a few days ago. Just "keepin it real" as the P-Dub lady says. THIS is what my bread looks like sometimes. Inexplicably, this loaf has a gigantic cre-vass in the middle. Jeff likes to think of witty comments when a loaf comes out of the oven looking like this. I'd take offense if he didn't still eat it up in record time. It looks like Benjamin put his footprint in the top of this one. I'll take the blame though. My bread is never going to be completely perfect until I get the Bosch.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the laugh... that is one scary but hilarious loaf of bread! At least you know what might lurk on the inside. The worst loaves are the ones that look perfect but have a cavern inside. Couldn't count how many times that's happened to me!

That dress is cute...but it has Nini written all over it.

Ashley Turnbull said...

Yeah, I am glad you're keeping it real. My bread comes out 2 in high sometimes, although not as much as before you told me "the secret" of adding more flour. And, I can't wait to see what you have for me...outfit wise :-) And finally, those strawberries are beautiful...I can see a big delicious strawberry pie coming out of those...or a strawberry salad. Yum. BTW, it's 6:14 a.m., I have had 5.5 hrs of sleep, and I have already eaten my first breakfast (dinner was at 10 last night) - 40 lbs here I come!

The Burgess Family said...

I don't understand! My bread always comes out beautifully with each slice almost exactly the same size. It's uncanny. It also comes packaged in a "Nature's Own" bag, but still. If you need any tips (just head to the bread isle at your local grocery store!!!)